Batman

Batman

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The next important lesson that I learn from the video game is pressing the L2 button. When I push this button Batman goes into a "detective mode". When this mode is deployed the screen turns into a bluish background and any interactive item is then highlighted. This mode is great for when you don't know exactly where to go next. It also lets you know how many enemies are in the area and if they are armed or unarmed. "Detective Mode" also lets you follow a trail of clues, these clues can be anything from fingerprints to alcohol in the air from a specific person. This is where the serious thinking comes into the game. Straight from the beginning of the game, after I fought the waves of thugs, I find myself stuck in the room where The Joker left me. I look around for awhile and can't really figure out where to go, there are two obvious exits, but both are blocked by security gates. I turn on "Detective Mode" and I see a air ventilation and rip of the vent that is blocking it. Now I am free from the room that I was trapped in. When I get to this next room there are more enemies there waiting for me......

1 comment:

Eduardo said...

Hey Jeremy,
I'm Eduardo from Stanford University. In my Rhetoric class, I was assigned to look at your blog and comment on it.
I'm glad you're enjoying Arkham Asylum. I've played it before and really enjoyed it. Our experiences may be a bit different since you are on a console but they are probably the same.
I was wondering what exactly your class is about. What is the end goal for spending a semester playing this game?
I'm also interested in how the game has taught you to think. After playing it for over a month, do you think you are looking at the game differently. Would you have as much trouble without detective mode now as you did in the beginning? Has the game actually helped you become a better problem solver?
Hope you enjoy the game.
Eduardo